Monday, February 18, 2013

What is Kayy Clothing &Accessories??

Here's a brief history on what Kayy C&A is and how it came about:

I first learned to sew around the age of 8. My Granny first taught me by showing me how to make and embroider small pillows. I started sketching my first "collection" called Royalty in middle school. I never knew how to draw, so I would copy pictures of Rihanna and use them as inspiration for my designs. It wasn't until high school (Rufus King --Shoutout!) that I started sewing again. I took a sewing class and used the hand sewing techniques to make hair bows hand painted with my school colors for spirit week. They soon became some sort of "trend" amongst my peers. I started making bow earrings, bracelets, headbands, and knitted scarves and soon "...by ebbie Earrings and Accessories" came about. With the help of my mom, I started my first business that was decked out with tags, labels, and gift bags.

After high school, I attended Clark Atlanta University where I studied fashion design. After two years of high tuition and a bunch of self teaching; I decided to further my education at an actual "art" school (no shade, I LOVE my HBCU). I currently attend Columbia College Chicago and now feel like I'm around my "peoples" lol art students who spend more money on supplies than actual text books. I'm learning so much here and every second I spend in my classes, I get more and more ideas for Kayy C&A.

My mom also noticed how much I was excelling in my talent and sat me down to start a business plan. "First you have to find a name"...the hard part. It was hard because I didn't want my business to sound like those "boutiques" and "so and so's closet" you see on Instagram (again, no shade). I felt this way because, unlike those boutiques, I actually sit down and sew my products. They aren't bought from a whole seller over seas, so I didn't want to come off as a designer that had multiple copies of the same dress and purse. After much brainstorming; Kayy Clothing & Accessories was chosen.

I know I said this was a brief history, but, hence the cross-out above :) Now, to answer the question *clears throat* Kayy Clothing and Accessories is an LLC that provides handmade apparel and accessory products such as dresses, skirts, clutch purses, and scarves. There is also a "sub-category" called Kayy Thrift where thrifted items such as denim shorts, dresses, and accessories are modernized and made new.

Long story, short. Right...NOT! This business means the world to me, there was NO WAY I could summarize it in a few short sentences. You enjoyed reading it, admit it :)

-Ebbie


6 comments:

  1. You go Girl!!!I love it...(and Im not just saying that because Im your mom)...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job young lady! Wishing you continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME EB!! YOU ARE DOING IT WURK WURK IT! PROUD OF YOU

    JSUE ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absoutely Love it! Can't wait to see the items! Des

    ReplyDelete
  5. *proud moment*

    love your favorite:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eb im so happy for u and i have some stuff i wld like u to vamp for me since i had calvin lol dont know how to do it posting my name

    ReplyDelete